We process all smartphones and tablets through our Certified Data Erasure system. Our policy is as follows:
- During the functional and cosmetic inspection process, our technicians factory reset every smartphone and iPad. The factory reset process erases all personal data on the device. Our technicians may additionally employ specialized software to erase personal data on the devices.*
- If we are unable to factory reset the device for any reason, the device’s motherboard will be shredded. The shredding process erases all personal data.
- We shred all memory cards. SIM cards, and any related storage components.
- You will receive a Certificate of Data Erasure certifying your devices were factory reset or physically destroyed through a shredding process.
Factory Reset Guide
If you are more comfortable erasing the data before shipping us your devices, the factory reset is surprisingly simple. Please follow our factory reset guide below. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
- iPhone & iPad: Go to Settings > General > Reset and then select Erase All Content and Settings. After typing in your passcode if you’ve set one, you’ll get a warning box appear, with the option to Erase iPhone (or iPad) in red.
- Android Devices: Go to Settings > Backup & reset. Tap Factory data reset. On the next screen, tick the box marked Erase phone data. You can also choose to remove data from the memory card on some phones – so be careful what button you tap on. You’ll see a warning screen – tap Reset phone to continue.
* The factory reset process, when employed by our technical staff, erases all personal data on the device. (Please note: The factory reset process, while removing all personal data, may not remove the activation lock on activation locked devices (e.g. iCloud lock, Google lock, or DEP lock). These factory reset devices are sold ‘for parts’ to select refurbishment companies, who demanufacture the devices to reclaim the parts. While activation locked devices cannot be reactivated or reused as functioning devices, they are an essential source of repair parts and a critical component of our Incentive Based Recycling model.